Kevin Fisher (GS)

Home Town: Rochester, NYKevin

Undergraduate Education: Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering – Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY

Honors/Awards: Rickover Fellowship

Research Area: I am utilizing atom probe tomography and transmission electron microscopy to study cracks in 304 stainless steel. These materials are utilized for nuclear reactor components, and due to the extreme environments under which reactors operate (high temperature and pressure), are subject to cracking through mechanisms such as stress corrosion cracking and corrosion fatigue. I am using atomic scale analysis methods at the crack tips and crack flanks in an attempt to elucidate the mechanisms by which cracking occurs. I am also interested in the oxide films which form on the surface and in the cracked regions. This research is funded by the Rickover Fellowship for Nuclear Engineering.

Outside of Research: Beyond my research interests, I am an avid outdoor enthusiast. I especially enjoy hiking, backpacking, camping, orienteering, and adventure racing. I recently finished hiking the 46 high peaks (over 4000′) in the Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY and hiked my first two 14ers in the Colorado Rockies. I have also done extensive canoeing and camping in Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada, and throughout the Northeast United States. I have completed several sprint distance triathlons, one olympic distance triathlon, a half marathon, and a full marathon (Presque Isle, PA). I started adventure racing in the spring of 2015 with a 4 hour beginner race, and by the fall I had completed a 21 hour overnight race. During the colder months I enjoy reading fantasy and sci fi novels, playing board games, and have recently taken up indoor rock climbing. Finally, I also thoroughly enjoy watching college hockey (GO BLUE!).