Home Town: Jiangxi, China
- B.E., Powder Materials Science and Engineering, Central South University (China) 2008-2012
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago, IL) 2012-2014
- Ph.D., Materials Metallurgical Engineering, University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL) 2015-2018
- EBSD 2018 Student Poster Competition
Research Area: Microstructure characterization of nuclear materials (Ni-based alloys, steels, Zr alloys), dissimilar joints (aluminum-steel), and Mg alloys
Outside of Research: swimming, running
- Tian Liu, Elaina R. Reese, Iman Ghamarian, Emmanuelle A. Marquis. “Atom Probe Tomography Characterization of Ion and Neutron Irradiated Alloy 800H.” Journal of Nuclear Materials (2021).
- Tian Liu, Mark D. Vaudin, Jeffrey R. Bunn, Tamás Ungár, Luke N. Brewer. “Quantifying Dislocation Density in Al-Cu Coatings Produced by Cold Spray Deposition.” Acta Materialia (2020).
- Ce Zheng, Elaina R Reese, Kevin G Field, Tian Liu, et al. “Microstructure Response of Ferritic/martensitic Steel HT9 after Neutron Irradiation: Effect of Temperature.” Journal of Nuclear Materials (2020).
- Tian Liu, William A. Story, Luke N. Brewer. “Effect of Heat Treatment on the Al-Cu Feedstock Powders for Cold Spray Deposition.” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A (2019).
- Tian Liu, Jeremy D. Leazer, Luke N. Brewer. “Particle Deformation and Microstructure Evolution during Cold Spray of Individual Al-Cu Alloy Powder Particles.” Acta Materialia (2019).
- Tian Liu, Jeremy D. Leazer, et al. “Influence of Alloy Additions on the Microstructure, Texture, and Hardness of Low-Pressure Cold Sprayed Al-Cu Alloys.” Journal of Thermal Spray Technology (2019).
- A.R. Cisko, J.B. Jordon, D.Z. Avery, Z.B. McClelland, T. Liu, et al. “Characterization of Fatigue Behavior of Al-Li Alloy 2099.” Materials Characterization (2019).
- Abby R. Cisko, James B. Jordon, Dustin Z. Avery, Tian Liu, et al. “Experiments and Modeling of Fatigue Behavior of Friction Stir Welded Aluminum Lithium Alloy.” Metals (2019).
- Tian Liu, Jeremy D. Leazer, Sarath K. Menon, Luke N. Brewer. “Microstructure Analysis of Gas Atomized Al-Cu Alloy Feedstock Powders for Cold Spray Deposition.” Surface and Coatings Technology (2018).
- O.G. Rivera, P.G. Allison, L.N. Brewer, O.L. Rodriguez, J.B. Jordon, T. Liu, et al. “Influence of Texture and Grain Refinement on the Mechanical Behavior of AA2219 Fabricated by High Shear Solid State Material Deposition.” Materials Science & Engineering A (2018).
- Yang Zhou, Philip Nash, Tian Liu, et al. “The Large Scale Synthesis of Aligned Plate Nanostructures.” Scientific Reports 6 (2016).
- J. Li, T. Liu, et al. “Interdiffusion Coefficients and Atomic Mobilities in FCC Cu-Fe-Mn Alloys.” Journal of Mining and Metallurgy. Section B: Metallurgy 50, no. 2 (2014).
- Weiling Wen, Tian Liu, Mihaela Banu, et al. “Corrosion Evolution in Al/Steel Dissimilar Joints.” Proceedings of the ASME 2020 15th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC 2020).
- Attended 2019 Atom Probe Tomography User Conference in Fitchburg, Wisconsin (June 2019)
- Tian Liu, Jeremy D. Leazer, Luke N. Brewer. “Deformation Microstructures in Individual Cold Sprayed Al-Cu Alloy Particles Studied via Precession Electron Diffraction and Transmission Kikuchi Diffraction.” Presented at the Microscopy and Microanalysis 2018.
- Tian Liu, Luke N. Brewer. “Applying EBSD, PED, and TKD for Examining Microstructural Deformation in Cold Sprayed Materials.” Poster presented at the EBSD 2018.
- Tian Liu, and Luke N. Brewer, et al. “Quantifying Microstructural Deformation in Cold Sprayed Aluminum-Copper Alloy Coatings.” Presented at the TMS 2018.
- Tian Liu, and Luke N. Brewer. “Microstructural Development in Binary Aluminum-Copper Alloy Powders during Gas Atomization.” Presented at the TMS 2017.
- Student volunteer for the EBSD 2016 at the University of Alabama (May 2016)
- Tian Liu, Luke N. Brewer, and J.D. Leazer, et al. “Processing-Microstructure Relationships during Cold Spray Deposition of Aluminum-Copper Alloys.” Presented at the TMS 2016.