Our buzzwords: Alloy, Microstructure, Evolution, 3D, Microscopy,
Precipitation, Oxidation, Corrosion, Radiation effects, Mechanical properties, …
May 2016 – Left to right: (back) Mukesh Bachhav (Now scientist at Idaho Nat. Lab.), Elaina Anderson (GS), Peng-Wei Chu (GS),
Kevin Fisher (GS), Adam McFarland (M.S. graduated), Yan Lao (now on sabbatical), Emmanuelle Marquis (PI)
(front) Tim Chen (B.S. graduated), Vic Araullo-Peters (now PD at ETH – Zurich), Ellen Solomon (GS), Yan Dong (PD), Talia Barth (GS)
Sneak peek into 2017
We will be at TMS in February (Ellen Solomon will be awarded the best 2016 TMS Light Metals Magnesium Best Paper – Student Award), the Gordon Conference on High temperature Corrosion in July (Kathleen Chou and Talia Barth), the Gordon Conference on Physical Metallurgy, Environmental degradation in Materials in nuclear power systems (Kevin Fisher), and Microscopy & Microanalysis in August.
We have a few papers in review we can’t wait to share with you!
We have at least one position available for a post-doctoral researcher. Please contact us with CV and contact information for 3 references.
Group News (2016)
Yan Dong successfully defended her thesis! Elaina Anderson successfully defended her prelim examination and became a PhD candidate. Adam McFarland defended his Masters thesis. Vic Araullo-Peters finished his post-doc tenure and started in a new position at ETH in Zurich. Lan Yao also finished his research scientist position and started a year of world travels. We miss you all!
We welcomed new members: Li-Jen Yu and Kathleen Chou who started in September as pre-doctoral students and James Mohan (Sophomore), Larissa Woryk (MSE senior), and Dan Zarkrzewski (MSE junior) who joined us for one semester (or two) of undergraduate research experience.
Ellen Solomon and Peng-Wei Chu each gave fantastic presentations at the annual MSE graduate symposium in November, both winning silver medal! And earlier in the year, Kevin Fisher had won a Microcopy and Microanalysis Student Award.
We also have plenty of new exciting results to share, with new publications from our programs on Mg alloys and bulk metallic glass matrix composites.
- Early precipitate morphologies in Mg-Nd-(Zr) alloys, ELS Solomon, V Araullo-Peters, JE Allison, EA Marquis, Scripta Materialia 128 14-17 (2017) link
- On the early stages of precipitation in dilute Mg-Nd alloys, AR Natarajan, E Solomon, B. Puchala, EA Marquis, A Van der Ven, Acta Materialia (2016) link
- Anodic Hydrogen Evolution and Localized Corrosion during Galvanostatic Polarization of a Peak-Aged Mg-Y-Nd-Zr Alloy, PW Chu, EA Marquis, Journal of The Electrochemical Society 163 (8), C402-C409 (2016) link
- Microstructure and Chemistry of Electrodeposited Mg Films. MN Bachhav, NT Hahn, KR Zavadil, EG Nelson, AJ Crowe, BM Bartlett, P-W Chu, VJ Araullo-Peters, and EA Marquis, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 163 (13) D1-D6 (2016) link
- The Materials Commons: A Collaboration Platform and Information Repository for the Global Materials Community, B Puchala, G Tarcea, EA Marquis, M Hedstrom, HV Jagadish, JE Allison, JOM, 1-10 (2016) link
- Three dimensional imaging of shear bands in bulk metallic glass composites, AH Hunter, M Gibbons, V Araullo-Peters, OD Restrepo, SR Niezgoda, W Windl, KM Flores, DC Hofmann, EA Marquis, Journal of Microscopy (2016) link
- Towards an understanding of tensile deformation in Ti-based bulk metallic glass matrix composites with BCC dendrites, J Kolodziejska, H Kozachkov, K Kranjc, A Hunter, EA Marquis, K Flores, W Johnson, and D Hofmann, Scientific Reports (2016) link