Home Town: Anyang, China
- B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Northeastern University, China (2007)
- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, University of Science and Technology Beijing, China (2015)
- Postdoc, Materials Science & Engineering department, Northwestern University, Evanston, 2018-2020
- Research Staff, Rolls-Royce@NTU Corporate Lab, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2017-2018
- Research Scholar, Institute I: General Materials Properties, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany, 2015-2017
- Excellent Poster Award, IUMRS-ICAM (2013)
- International Symposium on Superalloys Scholarship, Superalloys (2012)
- CITIC-CBMM Nb-bearing Steel Graduate Scholarship (2012)
Research Area: superalloys, microstructure characterization, deformation mechanism, oxidation behavior
Outside of Research: Football, cooking and hiking
Home Town: Greater Philadelphia Area, Pennsylvania
Undergraduate Education: B.A. from Cornell University in Physics and German Studies (2019)
Research Area: Atom probe tomography studies of precipitation in Al alloys
Outside of Research: Reading, cooking, playing racquetball
Undergraduate education: B.Tech in Metallurgy and Materials Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee, India.
- Irradiation behavior of reactor pressure vessel (RPV) steels
- Irradiation behavior of multi-principal element alloys (MPEAs).
Student groups: President of the University of Michigan Indian Student Association
Outside research: Badminton, biking
Home Town: Jiangxi, China
- B.E., Powder Materials Science and Engineering, Central South University (China) 2008-2012
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago, IL) 2012-2014
- Ph.D., Materials Metallurgical Engineering, University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL) 2015-2018
- EBSD 2018 Student Poster Competition
Research Area: Microstructure characterization of nuclear materials (Ni-based alloys, steels, Zr alloys), dissimilar joints (aluminum-steel), and Mg alloys
Outside of Research: swimming, running
- Tian Liu, Elaina R. Reese, Iman Ghamarian, Emmanuelle A. Marquis. “Atom Probe Tomography Characterization of Ion and Neutron Irradiated Alloy 800H.” Journal of Nuclear Materials (2021).
- Tian Liu, Mark D. Vaudin, Jeffrey R. Bunn, Tamás Ungár, Luke N. Brewer. “Quantifying Dislocation Density in Al-Cu Coatings Produced by Cold Spray Deposition.” Acta Materialia (2020).
- Ce Zheng, Elaina R Reese, Kevin G Field, Tian Liu, et al. “Microstructure Response of Ferritic/martensitic Steel HT9 after Neutron Irradiation: Effect of Temperature.” Journal of Nuclear Materials (2020).
- Tian Liu, William A. Story, Luke N. Brewer. “Effect of Heat Treatment on the Al-Cu Feedstock Powders for Cold Spray Deposition.” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A (2019).
- Tian Liu, Jeremy D. Leazer, Luke N. Brewer. “Particle Deformation and Microstructure Evolution during Cold Spray of Individual Al-Cu Alloy Powder Particles.” Acta Materialia (2019).
- Tian Liu, Jeremy D. Leazer, et al. “Influence of Alloy Additions on the Microstructure, Texture, and Hardness of Low-Pressure Cold Sprayed Al-Cu Alloys.” Journal of Thermal Spray Technology (2019).
- A.R. Cisko, J.B. Jordon, D.Z. Avery, Z.B. McClelland, T. Liu, et al. “Characterization of Fatigue Behavior of Al-Li Alloy 2099.” Materials Characterization (2019).
- Abby R. Cisko, James B. Jordon, Dustin Z. Avery, Tian Liu, et al. “Experiments and Modeling of Fatigue Behavior of Friction Stir Welded Aluminum Lithium Alloy.” Metals (2019).
- Tian Liu, Jeremy D. Leazer, Sarath K. Menon, Luke N. Brewer. “Microstructure Analysis of Gas Atomized Al-Cu Alloy Feedstock Powders for Cold Spray Deposition.” Surface and Coatings Technology (2018).
- O.G. Rivera, P.G. Allison, L.N. Brewer, O.L. Rodriguez, J.B. Jordon, T. Liu, et al. “Influence of Texture and Grain Refinement on the Mechanical Behavior of AA2219 Fabricated by High Shear Solid State Material Deposition.” Materials Science & Engineering A (2018).
- Yang Zhou, Philip Nash, Tian Liu, et al. “The Large Scale Synthesis of Aligned Plate Nanostructures.” Scientific Reports 6 (2016).
- J. Li, T. Liu, et al. “Interdiffusion Coefficients and Atomic Mobilities in FCC Cu-Fe-Mn Alloys.” Journal of Mining and Metallurgy. Section B: Metallurgy 50, no. 2 (2014).
- Weiling Wen, Tian Liu, Mihaela Banu, et al. “Corrosion Evolution in Al/Steel Dissimilar Joints.” Proceedings of the ASME 2020 15th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC 2020).
- Attended 2019 Atom Probe Tomography User Conference in Fitchburg, Wisconsin (June 2019)
- Tian Liu, Jeremy D. Leazer, Luke N. Brewer. “Deformation Microstructures in Individual Cold Sprayed Al-Cu Alloy Particles Studied via Precession Electron Diffraction and Transmission Kikuchi Diffraction.” Presented at the Microscopy and Microanalysis 2018.
- Tian Liu, Luke N. Brewer. “Applying EBSD, PED, and TKD for Examining Microstructural Deformation in Cold Sprayed Materials.” Poster presented at the EBSD 2018.
- Tian Liu, and Luke N. Brewer, et al. “Quantifying Microstructural Deformation in Cold Sprayed Aluminum-Copper Alloy Coatings.” Presented at the TMS 2018.
- Tian Liu, and Luke N. Brewer. “Microstructural Development in Binary Aluminum-Copper Alloy Powders during Gas Atomization.” Presented at the TMS 2017.
- Student volunteer for the EBSD 2016 at the University of Alabama (May 2016)
- Tian Liu, Luke N. Brewer, and J.D. Leazer, et al. “Processing-Microstructure Relationships during Cold Spray Deposition of Aluminum-Copper Alloys.” Presented at the TMS 2016.
- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University
Dissertation: Application of precession electron diffraction technique to quantitatively study defects in nanocrystalline metallic materials
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, University of North Texas
Thesis: An integrated approach to determine phenomenological equations in metallic systems
- B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Sharif University of Technology
Senior project: Role of Barium Sulphate on the sound attenuation of PP/BaSO4 composites
Specialty: Orientation microscopy, Atom probe tomography, Deep learning
Toolkits: ASTAR, LEAP 5000, PyTorch
My research activities have focused on understanding and engineering the forward and backward relationships between processing, microstructures, and mechanical properties in high-performance structural alloys. To explore these relationships, I integrate advanced characterization techniques with data analytics approaches and physical metallurgy principles.
Home Town: Troy, Michigan
Undergraduate Education: B.S. Materials Science and Engineering, University of Michigan (2014)
Prior Positions: Materials and Process Engineer – Boeing (2014-2016)
- The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS) Henry Dewitt Smith scholarship (2020)
- Elected co-chair of the 2021 Gordon Research Seminar on Physical Metallurgy (postponed to 2023 due to COVID)
- Gordon Research Conference on Physical Metallurgy, Best poster prize (2019)
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship (2016)
- The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS) J. Keith Brimacombe Presidential Scholarship (2014)
Research Area: Oxidation of titanium alloys, Precipitation in Beta titanium alloys
Outside of Research: Running, hiking, and baking
Home Town: Paris, France
Current Positions (University of Michigan)
- Professor, Materials Science and Engineering department
Other activities: playing music, reading, drawing, going to a movie, Penny Stamps lectures, UMS shows, running, swimming, or camping on the shores of lake Michigan.
- PhD, Materials Science & Engineering, Northwestern University
- MS, Materials Science & Engineering, Ecole Nationale Superieure des Mines de Paris, France
- 1st prize Clarinet Performance, Conservatoire National de Region – Boulogne Billancourt, France
- Undergraduate program advisor, Materials Science and Engineering, 2019-2020
- Director, Michigan Center for Materials Characterization, 2015-2020
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellow, Department of Materials, University of Oxford, 2008-2010
- Staff Member, Materials Physics Department, Sandia National Laboratories Livermore
- Post-Doctoral Appointee, Materials Physics Department, Sandia National Laboratories Livermore
- Co-Chair, Gordon Conference on Physical Metallurgy (2021, postponed to 2023)
- Fellow, International Field Emission Society (2020)
- University of Michigan Faculty Recognition Award (2020)
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Accomplishment – Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Michigan (2016)
- CAREER award – National Science Foundation (2014)
- Jon R. and Beverly S. Holt Award for Excellence in Teaching – University of Michigan College of Engineering (2013)
- K.F.J. Heinrich award – Microanalysis Society (2012)
- Merit Award – Department of Materials, Oxford University (2009)
- Millard and Lee Alexander Postdoctoral Fellowship – Christ Church, Oxford (2007)
- Erwin W. Müller Outstanding Young Scientist Award – International Field Emission Society (2002)